1. Feel Snow in Lesotho
2. Surf in Plettenberg Bay
3. Dive in Sodwana Bay
4. Bask among Baobabs in Botswana
The views aren't half bad either.
5. Camp in the Pilanesberg
The Pilanesberg National Park is roughly 90 minutes from the Big Smoke and costs R200 for five people to camp.
Stop being a snotty city slicker and Get. In. Your. Car.
It's basically a tiny Kruger National Park and there are still at least four months of good camping weather left before the big chill sets in and you head off to Lesotho for snow-seeing.
The reserve also offers some special sights like African wild dog, cheetah, bat-eared fox, sable and Gemsbok.
6. Take a Roadtrip Through Mpumalanga
7. Climb the Sossusvlei Dunes in Namibia
8. Walk through the Johannesburg CBD
9. Catch a Fish
10. Climb a Mountain
11. Pay Homage to Madiba in the Midlands
12. Visit Local Museums
The Satyagraha House is a museum dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi's life in South Africa. The home is beautiful and museum wonderfully curated.
- The WITS Art Museum always has something interesting going on. I visited during an excellent Jody Bieber exhibition and a fascinating display on the lives of migrant miners living in Johannesburg.
- MOAD is a new museum on the block dedicated to African design and situated in trendy Maboneng. They're closed at the moment after having entering the scene with aplomb but are schedule back soon.
- Possibly my favourite discover was Museum Africa. I called up some watercolours by Thomas Baines for research on Baines' Baobabs (see number 4) and was impressed at the caliber of goods housed in the museum. The quality vastly depends on the current exhibition on show, but they know how to curate a good show as revealed by the epic Rise and Fall of Apartheid exhibition.
13. Drink with the locals in Magoebaskloof
It was raining, I was on assignment in Magoebaskloof with a photographer and we went out for dinner. Dinner turned in beer drafts and we spent our change on the jukebox. We played 80s tunes, chatted to the locals about their visitors, sons, daughters, marriage and on the manager's order avoided spinning any 'rap or crap'. It was tremendous fun and a great way to fall in love with a place.